We'd love to tell you
more about
Your information will be used to send you relevant information that we believe you will be interested in. I understand my information will NOT be shared with any third party without my express permission and that I can unsubscribe at any time. View our Privacy Policy.
Save for later
Please sign in or create your very own account to save and share your Strata favourites.

What to do once you're in your new home

Now you’ve moved into your new home, you’ll need to take some practical steps to make sure everything runs smoothly. With a little preparation, you can make your settling-in period as easy as possible.

Switch utilities providers

Before saying goodbye to your old home, you should let your existing energy and water suppliers know you are moving. Take meter readings on your last day and give them to your utilities providers – along with your new address – so you receive an accurate final bill. 

In your new home, you'll be put on a 'deemed contract' with the utilities provider currently supplying the property. However, you might want to shop around for a better deal, so take meter readings on the day you move in to make sure you are only billed for what you’ve used.

Fill in an online application for your new provider and they should be able to complete the process of switching over your utilities. You may need to take extra meter readings on the day your supply changes so your bills are accurate. 

Contact the DVLA 

There are a number of organisations that you should contact when you move into your new home. One of the most important is the DVLA, as you could potentially be fined £1,000 if you don’t let them know you have moved to a new address. 

To do this, you must: 
  • Update the address on your driving licence – either online or by post
  • Phone the DVLA to change your billing address for Direct Debit payments
  • Update the address on your vehicle's log book (V5C) if you're keeping the document at your new home 
  • Update the address on your V750 or V778 for personalised number plates 

If you drive a lorry, bus or coach, you may also need to apply for a new digital tachograph driver card if it includes your current address. 

Redirect your post 

There's always a chance you'll forget to tell someone you’ve moved, so you may want to consider signing up for Royal Mail's redirection service. This will make sure important documents reach you, but also prevent your personal details from falling into the wrong hands. 

Redirection costs from £31.99 for each different last name and you can choose a three, six or 12-month period for the service. Alternatively, ask the new homeowners to forward on your post and you can update your address with organisations as and when their letters reach you.

Notify everyone else

It’s not only the DVLA who will need to know you have moved. If you haven’t already done so, you will need to tell other key organisations and services about your new address.  
  • HMRC 
  • TV Licensing 
  • Your banks and building societies 
  • Credit and store card companies
  • Your doctor and dentist 
  • The electoral register 
  • Insurance companies 
  • Family and friends

Connect to the internet

Setting up your internet may have been one of the first things you looked into before moving to your new home. Do your research and choose your supplier well ahead of time, which will allow you to book an engineer – if necessary – for the date you move in or soon after. 

Once you've moved in, simply make sure you're in the property at the scheduled time to complete the installation. 

If you haven’t got round to organising your internet connection, now might be the time to scout the local area for Wi-Fi hotspots until you're hooked up. 

Be aware of your emergency contacts

We’re here to make your house move as simple and stress-free as possible, which is why our Customer Care team is on-hand to help you between 8:15am and 4:45pm, Monday to Friday. 

However, we recognise that you may need to get in touch outside of these hours, which is why we give you emergency contact details so you can get in touch on weekday evenings, weekends and bank holidays.

The emergency contact details for your development will be outlined in your reservation manual. This means you can reach us 24 hours a day, seven days a week if you have a power outage, central heating failure, problems accessing your property or another emergency. 

If your situation isn’t classes as an emergency, we might ask you to reimburse the cost of the callout. 

Top tips for buying a new home

View all insights
House Buying Options Explained: What The Experts Say
A Simple Guide to Shared Ownership
Your Guide to Buying a House: All You Need to Know
Our website uses cookies
We use cookies on our website. If you would like to know more about what cookies are and how we use them please click here for more information.